Who turned out the light - GNOME Classic - DesktopNames

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 14:04:53 UTC 2014

> > However what's the point now, after more than two months and how it can help us here?
>
> He wasn't linking for you to test it. He was pointing out GNOME's
> continuous integration test system, and noting that it covers Classic,
> which provides a degree of assurance that it 'works' at least to the
> point that a CI system can detect.

Hey, sorry for being terse. What I wanted to express was that classic is
not just thrown over the fence and never looked at again; it is
maintained and tested upstream.

I have now taken the time to log out on this F21 system, and log in
again after choosing 'GNOME Classic' from the gdm session chooser. Works
just fine.  I think your problem is more with random ways of starting
graphical sessions from a shell script. That's always half-broken and
basically unsupported. If you want to test a graphical desktop in
Fedora, you should choose it from the session menu on the login screen.

Matthias