gnome desktop image for arm?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jul 23 20:58:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 14:35 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> > I don't know if Gnome arm images are being spun up or not, but, the
> > issue with Gnome on ARM is with the graphics, not necessarily the
> > memory.
>
> Allwinner A20 is suppose to have a fast GPU...

OpenGL ES or full OpenGL?  Almost all Arm chips limit themselves to ES
since that is all Android requires.  Yes it does make Arm kinda
pointless for 'real computing' purposes, but the target market is
phones, tablets and settop boxes.  A real pity.

Next problem is all video drivers on Arm (except, depending how you
split hairs, the Pi) are blobs.  If Fedora isn't officially admitting
the otherwise pretty darned good Nvidia drivers exist I wouldn't hold my
breath waiting for support for the craptastic stuff that passes for an
embedded video driver.