Interesting debugging experiences Fedora 21 on real hardware

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Thu Jul 24 05:56:19 UTC 2014

Recent yum updates to my omen.com server have resulted in an unstable
system.
At first the problem appeared to be related to the Tigervnc server. VNC
sessions would
fail quickly.  I ended up force installing Tigervnc from the Heisenbug tree.

With VNC apparently settled down, I saw hard disk errors on various drives.
The solution for that was to fall back to 3.16.0-0.rc4.git2.1.fc21.x86_64.
Omen.com now seems stable.

Meanwhile Fedora 21 and rawhide installs on my test machines ceased to
boot into
a graphical desktop.  I tried both Gnome and Xfce.  I could get a text
console but
no desktop.  The current F21 anaconda didn't get to a desktop screen either.

I then replaced the Nvidia FTX 460 on my spare test machine and F21 anaconda
started working.

Since my "ultimate goal" is to get a (relatively) clean F21 on my
server, I started
experimenting using the Heisenbug netinst.iso with a specified repository of
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/development/21/x86_64/os

It would be most useful to be able to specify a copy of the repository
on a local HD:
/dev/sdd1/fc21/os    - but in the meantime I will have to install over
the net at a more
leisurely pace.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com