Fedora21 lpr prints blank pages

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Thu Jul 31 06:26:05 UTC 2014

On 07/28/2014 03:26 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-25 at 14:32 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
>> The F21 lp and lpr commands print blank pages.
>> The CUPS test page printed normally, as did a print from GIMP.
> Please try to find out if the problem is format-specific by trying other
> formats (such as PDF), and when you find which format fails, please try
> to diagnose further by enabling debugging and looking for CUPS log
> messages (journalctl _COMM=cupsd -e, or look
> in /var/log/cups/error_log). For more information about this, take a
> look at this page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems
>
> The lp and lpr commands both act in the same way: they give the document
> to CUPS to print. The problem is very unlikely to be with the commands
> themselves.
>
> Tim.
> */

I made a fresh Fedora 21 install today, Xfce et al.
using Heisenbug netinst.iso.

The installed Xfce desktop lacks printer setup.
I installed control-center and gave the command
control-center printers.  This installed for my hp 2605dn
laserjet.  Test page worked, as did geany.  lp still
prints blank pages, no error messages seen.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com