DNF utils package?

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Sat Jun 14 04:55:29 UTC 2014

On June 14, 2014 06:46:29 AM Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 01:33:09PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > It's a bit pointless to say you 'use yum-utils' or not, because
> > yum-utils is a big grab bag of a whole bunch of stuff.
>
> I, for one, use quite heavily repoquery and repoclosure (and far from
> only things in this "grab bag").  Others are likely to have different
> requirements.
>
> > It'd be most
> > useful for people to note which yum-utils they use *precisely* which do
> > not yet have a dnf equivalent.
>
> Hard to tell.  My "trial excursions" into dnf left me with a distinct
> impression that this is much "work-in-progress" with a hard to read
> documentation which is often incomplete and/or wrong (yes, corresponding
> bugzilla reports were filed).  So far I totally failed to notice from a
> user point of view any advantages of dnf over yum (speed was definitely
> not one of those).  For dealing with rawhide dnf was decidely inferior.
> It was promissing to be "command line compatible" with yum - with an
> added qualifier "mostly" and what that may mean it remains to be seen.
> Maybe one day this will happen.
>
>    Michal

We have inconsistencies (but this is expected) in our documentation, systemd is outstanding
in its documentation, we should enforce such strong quality for documentation if we want
to get the most out of our systems. Since dnf (nee yum) is such a core tool, we should hold
this standard for core plumbing.

Thanks,
Shawn