was there some weird issue with the second last rawhide kernel? [DIAGNOSED?]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 20 18:32:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Dan Mossor wrote:

> > > dmesg?
> > > GTX 560M GDDR5?
> >
> > & IGP Intel HD Graphics 3000
> > To which is connected HDMI?
> >
> > poma
> >
> On the Asus G Series laptops, the Intel graphics are disabled. It
> uses the discrete Nvidia GPU exclusively.

  just finished another "yum update" to get the
3.16.0-0.rc1.git3.1.fc21.x86_64 kernel, which is still showing the
exact same symptoms -- if i boot my ASUS G74S with HDMI connected to
my external ASUS VE228H monitor, after i get the fedora "infinity"
symbol for a couple seconds, total hang ... black displays, no virtual
consoles, need to power cycle.

  if, however, i simply unplug the external monitor from HDMI, no
problem, and i can plug in the monitor after booting. oh, and as
before, once i'm running under this new (but clearly broken) kernel,
when i go to shut down, massive kernel panic and stack trace.

  i can do more testing tomorrow, but this has now been an issue for
the last three rawhide kernel releases. is no one else seeing
something like this? more later ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca