media check is default on UEFI but not on BIOS

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 22:46:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-20 at 14:00 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> This is not a new behavior. On
> Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-rawhide-20140619.iso I observe UEFI
> booting, the GRUB menu 2nd option is the default "Test this media &
> start Fedora Live"
>
> Whereas on BIOS, the syslinux default is "Start Fedora 21" no media
> check.
>
> Why are they different?

Murphy's Law (no relation), really. It's not anyone's job in particular
to make sure they're all consistent, so they rarely are.

I made a bit of an effort at it during the F20 cycle, but obviously I
missed a bit. I meant to make the media check option the default in all
cases.

There's more than just UEFI vs. non-UEFI, btw: there's also live vs.
non-live. You have to check live UEFI, live BIOS, non-live UEFI, and
non-live BIOS cases all match. And every time I poke into this and fix
something, I drink away the memory of exactly how all the configurations
are created. The live ones, at least, come from live.py in
python-imgcreate (I think) - UEFI live boot uses grub, BIOS live boot
uses syslinux, hence they're completely different config files and easy
for them to get out of sync with each other. I *think* UEFI and non-UEFI
non-live boot share the same grub config, but I've been wrong before,
and right now I forget what it is that builds it.