3.16.x on i686

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 18:34:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 12:36 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 19:13:36 +0200,
>   poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >BTW, Adam, there are people running & testing Rawhide on i686! :)
>
> Yes, and I am backlogged getting bugs filed for issues I am having.
> I have at least two different problems with 3.16 kernels that make them
> unusable for me.
>
> There might be a problem with systemd creating init files for a bunch of
> services, since I am now seeing some services attempt to start at boot,
> that I can't disable.

systemd doesn't just 'create init files', I don't think. It *does* have
a concept of dependencies, which could account for this effect.

What services exactly are you talking about?

> I also seem to have a selinux problem blocking consolekit so that sound
> doesn't work in enforcing mode.

What desktop are you using? It'd be good if you could file the bug for
this, filing SELinux denials via sealert is pretty fast.

> So far I am just working on the kernel change that seems to have md being
> more picky about md raid1 superblocks and just doing workarounds for the
> rest.

All 3.16 kernels before 3.16.0-0.rc2.git0.1 are just fundamentally
broken on i686, I think, unless you pass 'vdso=0'. I wouldn't bother
messing with anything unless you're using the rc2 kernel, or passing
vdso=0.