Leaving the project

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:04:49 UTC 2014

Greetings yo all

With regrets I must say I feel we have grown so fat we are about to
collapse under our own weight but instead of properly start dealing with
that within the project, people chose to ignore that fact but instead
chose to force some future vision of RHEL 8 upon the project under the
names of .next, products and wg's and constantly attack the solid ground
what our foundations have stood for and their meaning all those years
and embark on multiproduct releases based on wrong fundamental
assumption, without statistical backing up of what they considered being
the underlying cause for some of their assumptions  and without
thoroughly thinking things through what needs to be done before being
able to do that as well as the fact we lack the necessary community
infrastructure and workflows being in place to remotely being able to
achieve delivering multiple products in a useful and efficient manner
based on the resources we have in the project.

And as WG's slowy turn into tiny little empires fighting amongst
themselves for components directions and maintenance while the owners of
those components are scratching their head still trying to figure how
the .next,product and wg proposal affects them, their maintenance and
where they general fit into that future vision or simply are ignoring it
which inevitably will result in them suddenly finding themselves being
slapped by reality and waking up from their slumber when it finally does
hit them.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing much future or vision in Fedora and it's
direction anymore and the fact is that I'm failing to convey what needs
to be fixed in any useful and meaningful way and manner, with the end
result being that I'm not being heard and at the same time being
powerless in fixing things that need fixing within the community. makes
me part of the problem not the solution for the project and those that
still believe in it and the direction it is taking as well as to who's
being lined up to become the project's next leader.

Will, Jon, James,Adam, Kamil, Tim, Peter, John Dulany, Bruno,Chris the
entire Fedora unity team and bunch of other people that I have probably
forgotten to mention thank you for for your hard work those 8+ years and
the pleasure I had working with you.

JBG