Remember my F20 nvram issues with Lenovo x120e? More sagas

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 30 18:40:25 UTC 2014

A quick piece of  review then on to day's failures.

Back in December?  I was working on installing F20-64 on my Lenovo x120e
and could not update NVRAM.  You here helped me get a working system.

============ now on to recent history =============

Then the audio started getting flacky and could tell if it was hardware
or a software update (headphones worked, but not built in speakers).  So
I picked up another x120e from ebay that had an oem Windows7 on it.  I
pulled that drive and put in my drive from the old system.  I figured
that since it was working without nvram info it would work in another
box.  And it did.  For a while.

Then one reboot after a kernel update, it would not reboot.  A long set
of messages and then failure to sync drive and powering off.  I found
that if I hit s or <ctl-s> a lot of times at the right point it would
boot up.  I rebooted as little as possible and only applied updates when
gnome would freeze up (in a tty session). Finally it got too bad, and I
put the drive back into the old system with the flacky audio where I am
right now.

===================== Finally today's failures =================

So I ordered a new SSD drive and today set about installing F20-64. See
bug 975537, and no, Adam, I did not save anything.  Instead I set about
doing an i386 install!  That seemed to go ok until I got to the reboot.
It goes through a reboot and shuts off.  I have tried with <alt-d> to
catch any messages, but none that I can see.  :(

So now what?  Adam, I CAN do another x64 install and if you give me the
steps to rescue any logs (you mean they were not part of the upload?) I
will attach them to the bug report.

Or I COULD do a rawhide install.  Point me where to get the ISO image
and I am willing it give it a go.  I DO at least have this system to
work from.

thank you for your support.  Now I think I will try that Fedora 20 arm
install again.  This time recable my monitor so I have direct hdmi
connection to get me through firstboot.