Adding GNOME ....

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:00:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 10:20 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> There is a "Fedora Workstation" but that can't be installed due to....

I have a similar issue actually, but the other way around:

Fresh F21 beta workstation install. I tried to install KDE using dnf,
but fedora-release-workstation and fedora-release-nonproduct conflict.
If I try to remove fedora-release-workstation, dnf replaces it with
fedora-release-server which gets me back to the same state really. Is it
impossible to install other DEs along the workstation at the moment
using dnf?

>         [asinha at localhost ~]$ sudo dnf remove
>         fedora-release-workstation
>         Dependencies resolved.
>         ================================================================================================================
>          Package                                 Arch
>          Version                     Repository          Size
>         ================================================================================================================
>         Installing:
>          cockpit                                 x86_64
>          0.27-1.fc21                 fedora             342 k
>          cockpit-assets                          noarch
>          0.27-1.fc21                 fedora             920 k
>          fedora-release-server                   noarch
>          21-0.16                     fedora              19 k
>          firewalld-config-server                 noarch
>          0.3.12-1.fc21               fedora              45 k
>          libssh                                  x86_64
>          0.6.3-3.fc21                fedora             150 k
>          python-futures                          noarch
>          2.1.6-3.fc21                fedora              34 k
>          rolekit                                 noarch
>          0.1.0-2.fc21                fedora              99 k
>          storaged                                x86_64
>          0.3.1-1.fc21                fedora              92 k
>         Removing:
>          fedora-release-workstation              noarch
>          21-0.16                     @System            1.0 k
>          firewalld-config-workstation            noarch
>          0.3.12-1.fc21               @System            1.0 k
>
>         Transaction Summary
>         ================================================================================================================
>         Install  8 Packages
>         Remove   2 Packages
>
>         Total download size: 1.7 M
>         Is this ok [y/N]:

I'm assuming yum shell should be able to help here, but dnf doesn't have
such a feature yet - I also don't expect a normal end user to resort to
yum shell. Do the different fedora-release-* packages have to conflict?
Can't I be running a workstation product and a server product and
miscellaneous bits (a union, rather than the current apparent mutual
exclusion)? This must've been discussed before, I just can't find the
discussion.
--
Thanks,
Regards,