Adding GNOME ....

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Nov 5 23:05:12 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 06:44, Reynold wrote:

> [...]
>>> Still can't find a way to install the GNOME desktop after doing a KDE install.  Using the latest, and greatest, Beta just released.
>>>
>>> This could be very annoying to some people.   :-)
>>>
>> OK, try some of the following:
>>
>>    yum -v   group list
>> which should list the groups available.
>>
>>    yum  -v  group info workstation-product-environment
>>
>> which shows workstation-product
>>
>>    and finally yum -v info workstation-product
>> which shows all of the packages for workstation-product (which is what I belive you are looking for).
>>
>> Gene
> This is listed under available groups on my fed21 system: "gnome-desktop"
>
> Available environment groups:
>    Basic Desktop (basic-desktop-environment)
>    Cinnamon Desktop (cinnamon-desktop-environment)
>    Development and Creative Workstation (developer-workstation-environment)
>    Fedora Cloud Server (cloud-server-environment)
>    Fedora Server (server-product-environment)
>    Fedora Workstation (workstation-product-environment)
>    Infrastructure Server (infrastructure-server-environment)
>    KDE Plasma Workspaces (kde-desktop-environment)
>    LXDE Desktop (lxde-desktop-environment)
>    MATE Desktop (mate-desktop-environment)
>    Minimal Install (minimal-environment)
>    Sugar Desktop Environment (sugar-desktop-environment)
>    Web Server (web-server-environment)
>    Xfce Desktop (xfce-desktop-environment)
> Installed groups:
>    Administration Tools (admin-tools)
>    Audio Production (audio)
>    Authoring and Publishing (authoring-and-publishing)
>    Books and Guides (books)
>    C Development Tools and Libraries (c-development)
>    Container Management (container-management)
>    D Development Tools and Libraries (d-development)
>    Design Suite (design-suite)
>    Development Tools (development-tools)
>    Editors (editors)
>    Educational Software (education)
>    Engineering and Scientific (engineering-and-scientific)
>    Fedora Eclipse (eclipse)
>    GNOME Desktop Environment (gnome-desktop)
>    Games and Entertainment (games)
>    Graphical Internet (graphical-internet)
>    LibreOffice (libreoffice)
>    Office/Productivity (office)
>    Sound and Video (sound-and-video)
>    System Tools (system-tools)
>    Text-based Internet (text-internet)
>    Window Managers (window-managers)
> Available groups:
>    3D Printing (3d-printing)
>    Cloud Infrastructure (cloud-infrastructure)
>    Cloud Management Tools (cloud-management)
>    Cloud Server Tools (cloud-server)
>    Domain Membership (domain-client)
>    Electronic Lab (electronic-lab)
>    FreeIPA Server (freeipa-server)
>    Hardware Support (hardware-support)
>    Headless Management (headless-management)
>    KDE (K Desktop Environment) (kde-desktop)
>    MATE Applications (mate-applications)
>    MATE COMPIZ (mate-compiz)
>    Medical Applications (medical)
>    Milkymist (milkymist)
>    Network Servers (network-server)
>    RPM Development Tools (rpm-development-tools)

Well....

[root at localhost ~]# dnf group list
Available environment groups:
   Basic Desktop
   Cinnamon Desktop
   Development and Creative Workstation
   Fedora Cloud Server
   Fedora Server
   Fedora Workstation
   Infrastructure Server
   KDE Plasma Workspaces
   LXDE Desktop
   MATE Desktop
   Minimal Install
   Sugar Desktop Environment
   Web Server
   Xfce Desktop
Available groups:
   3D Printing
   Administration Tools
   Audio Production
   Authoring and Publishing
   Books and Guides
   C Development Tools and Libraries
   Cloud Infrastructure
   Cloud Management Tools
   Cloud Server Tools
   Container Management
   D Development Tools and Libraries
   Design Suite
   Development Tools
   Domain Membership
   Editors
   Educational Software
   Electronic Lab
   Engineering and Scientific
   Fedora Eclipse
   FreeIPA Server
   Games and Entertainment
   Headless Management
   LibreOffice
   MATE Applications
   MATE COMPIZ
   Medical Applications
   Milkymist
   Network Servers
   Office/Productivity
   RPM Development Tools
   Robotics
   Security Lab
   Sound and Video
   System Tools
   Text-based Internet
   Window Managers

Shows no GNOME for me.....   but.....

dnf group install gnome-desktop

Does work....

Transaction Summary
Install  321 Packages

Total download size: 220 M
Installed size: 775 M

Are we prepared to have all users discover this on their own?

How about the other direction?  Installing Workstation and then trying to install another desktop?  What magic needs to be discovered to get that to work?