Resume still broken on Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 9 00:13:27 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-08 at 16:50 -0500, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 09:17:25 -0500
> Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty well mystified, but, given my general lack of skills in this
> > part of the system, that's not surprising.  My next step, perhaps, is to
> > start disabling boot-time unit files until I find the one that makes
> > resume work, then try to see what's different under F21.
>
> Just in case anybody's curious, systemd-udev-trigger.service seems to be
> the one that makes the difference on F20.  Something is happening there
> that isn't happening the same way under F21, but I've not had a chance to
> delve more deeply into it.
>
> My investigation would be aided if I could get into the emergency or
> rescue targets from the live image.  But that wants the root password, and
> an empty password doesn't fly.  Is there any way to boot the live image
> into one of those modes, or is that completely unsupported and out of
> scope?

One thing I've done before is build a live image with the systemd debug
console enabled. To do that, add this to the %post of a ks:

%post
mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/debug-shell.service /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
%end

Here's the whole .ks I used:

%include spin-kickstarts/fedora-live-workstation.ks

repo --name=fedora --baseurl=http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/$releasever/$basearch/os/
repo --name=side --baseurl=file:///home/adamw/local/repo2/$basearch
repo --name=bleed --baseurl=http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/bleed/$basearch

%post
mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/debug-shell.service /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
%end

obviously, you'd have a checkout of the f21 branch of spin-kickstarts in
the directory 'spin-kickstarts' below wherever that spec file is
located, and you'd have your own side repo or just disable it.