Error: fedora-release-cloud conflicts with fedora-release-nonproduct-21-0.16.noarch

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:29:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 05:51:39 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > fedora-release-workstation-0:21-0.16.noarch
> > generic-release-cloud-0:21-7.noarch
> >

> > Seems to me at some time a random generic dependency has been pulled in
> > and now causes problems.
>
> Er, no? You have no generic package installed.

# rpm -q --whatrequires fedora-release-cloud
no package requires fedora-release-cloud

# rpm --test -e fedora-release-cloud
error: Failed dependencies:
	system-release-product is needed by (installed) fedora-release-21-0.16.noarch

As one can see, it's some virtual package or "capability", but not a direct
or strict dependency on "fedora-release-cloud".

Even the "fedora-release-nonproduct" package provides "system-release-product".

> There's nothing really 'mad' about it, all the deps are sane

Certainly not.

> (the point
> is to use different default firewall configurations with different
> Products),

That makes no sense.

  # rpm -qR fedora-release-cloud|grep -v ^rpm
  fedora-release = 21-0.16

Whether known or not, at least it is confirmed as a bug. I could also
have called it "insane", because XFCE should not conflict with the GNOME
desktop because of a "fedora-release-cloud" package that does not even
specify any strict dependencies.