Building local mirror for Fedora 21 x86 testing

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 21 21:00:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 06:04 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > I maintain local mirrors for the actgive versions I use here via rsync.
> > But now it is past time for me to test F21 x86 on a notebook I have
> > assigned to this task (a Lenovo x120e with a clean SSD). Where do I get
> > the OS and updates?  If I pull them down, and build an dvd of the iso
> > netinstall, I am expecting to be able to point to both the local OS and
> > updates?  I did a quick browse where I am currently getting my F20
> > updates (and got the OS) and I see the following directories:
> >
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/development/21/x86_64/os/
> >
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/21/x86_64/
>
> Have you seen http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring ?
> You can also ask questions at the #fedora-releng (or #fedora-admin) IRC channel.
>

> > I am expecting that the OS directory is for TC2, and the Updates are any
> > fixes since its release.  Is this correct?  I want to run the rsyncs
> > today, so I can start the testing tomorrow (along with the armv7 testing).
>
> No, that's the main repo + updates repo (there's also updates-testing
> repo). Test composes are available here
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/ and they usually contain
> main + updates + some bits from updates-testing which should fix
> blockers. TC directories don't contain full repositories though, just
> the default installation package set.

Another reference you may find useful:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Repositories

In the current phase of release, what happens is this. Builds just
submitted to Koji for F21 do not go to the repos at all. Builds
submitted as update candidates via Bodhi go to
fedora/linux/updates/testing/21/ . When update candidates are approved
and submitted as 'stable', they are moved to fedora/development/21 . The
fedora/updates/21 directory/repository is effectively 'empty' and will
remain so until the first update push after the Final release is signed
off.

Note, however, if you're building a local mirror, you should include the
'empty' fedora/updates/21 directory even though there are no packages in
it, because some things expect it to be present. That's why we have it
there on the official mirrors too.

For stable releases - let's take 20 as an example - the
fedora/linux/releases/20 directory is frozen in the state of the release
- it's exactly what was in fedora/linux/development/20 when we signed
off 20 for Final release. Nothing in that directory ever changes.
Candidate updates go to fedora/linux/updates/testing/20/ . Approved
updates marked as 'stable' go to fedora/updates/20/ .

For Rawhide, and branched releases prior to the 'Bodhi enablement
point', there is no updates-testing gating process. Every build
submitted to Koji, if it succeeds in building, goes to 'stable' -
development/rawhide for Rawhide, development/(release) for Branched
releases prior to Bodhi enablement.