Validation results categories: just have Alpha, Beta and Final?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 1 20:40:56 UTC 2014

> On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 17:29 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hi, folks. So as I've been playing with relval, I've been wondering why
> > we have 'TC' and 'RC' results page categories. That is, we have a
> > top-level 'Test Results' category, then we have a category for each
> > release which is a member of that category (e.g.
> > Category:Fedora_20_Test_Results ) , and then under that we have:
> >
> > Fedora 20 Alpha RC Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Alpha TC Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Beta RC Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Beta TC Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Final RC Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Final TC Test Results
> >
> > I'm not sure there's any real reason to split them between TC and RC
> > like that. I'd think it'd be more likely someone would want to see all
> > the Alpha validation pages, not *just* the TC or RC pages.
> >
> > What do people think? Should we just have:
> >
> > Fedora 20 Alpha Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Beta Test Results
> > Fedora 20 Final Test Results
> >
> > ? It wouldn't be too difficult to convert existing results to this
> > layout, I don't think. Thanks!
>
> I'm fairly sure this ought to work to move all existing results pages
> into the appropriate categories and fill out the new category pages from
> a template I just made up based on the text Andre uses for the
> categories (using mwclient):
>
> milestones = ("Alpha", "Beta", "Final")
> oldcats = re.compile('(Category:.?Fedora.+)([TR]C.)(Test.Results)')
>
> for i in range(13, 22):
>     tc_categories = [("Category:Fedora_" + str(i) + "_" + milestone + "_TC_Test_Results") for milestone in milestones]
>     rc_categories = [("Category:Fedora_" + str(i) + "_" + milestone + "_RC_Test_Results") for milestone in milestones]
>     categories = tc_categories + rc_categories
>     for category in categories:
>         for page in wiki.pages[category]:
>             text = page.edit()
>             newtext = oldcats.sub(r'\1\3', text)
>             page.save(newtext, summary="automated category move, see FIXME")
>
>     for milestone in milestones:
>         newcats = list()
>         newcats.append ("Category:Fedora_" + str(i) + "_" + milestone + "_Test_Results")
>         for category in newcats:
>             page = wiki.pages[category]
>             print page.name
>             page.save("{{Validation_results_milestone_category|release=" + str(i) + "|milestone=" + milestone + "}}", summary="automated creation of milestone category page")
>
> I've been testing it on the staging wiki and it seems OK. you trust me,
> right? :P

Feedback here and on IRC seemed positive so I'm running this move right
now, using a slightly refined version of the above script. All pages
that are in the "Fedora_XX_(Alpha/Beta/Final)_(TC/RC)_Test_Results"
categories will be moved into
"Fedora_XX_(Alpha/Beta/Final)_Test_Results", the old category pages will
be made completely empty, and the new ones will be populated using this
template:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Validation_results_milestone_category

which is based on the text robatino uses these days when creating those
categories. I'm going to make relval create those category pages using
the same template when appropriate (TC1) in future, so everything should
remain consistent. yay consistency.