Some F21 Alpha impressions

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Sat Oct 4 14:08:21 UTC 2014

So, feeling like life has kind of sucked recently, I've been
compensating by buying toys.  One of those is a shiny new Thinkpad X1
Carbon laptop.  The first thing I installed on it was the F21
Workstation alpha; here's a few impressions...

 - The main thing is that resume does not work in F21.  Things appear
   to suspend just fine, but there is no response to pressing the
   blinking power button.  I simply have to hold it until it powers
   down hard and start over.

   Interesting data points: It works fine with an F20 install, even
   with the original 3.11 kernel.  But it doesn't work on F21, even
   booting the F20 kernel.  So I don't think it's a kernel thing;
   something has changed on the user-space side to screw up the wakeup
   event somehow.  I'd like to go chasing after it but time is tight;
   this particular issue has forced me to go with F20 for now.

 - Emacs is *totally* confused about its window size.  Any new window
   comes up essentially full screen, but the sizes it shows when one
   resizes indicates that it thinks its window is quite small - even
   though text display works just fine.  F20 shows this too, it's not an
   F21 specific thing.

 - The huge onscreen keyboard seems to be easy to provoke and hard to
   make go away; this does seem to be new with F21.  Is there any way to
   just turn that off? I like my touchscreen, but it's permanently
   attached to a physical keyboard a few cm away; I will *never* want
   the onscreen one.

 - Whatever happened to the ability to associate actions with mouse
   button events?  That seems to be gone in F20 too?  Is that another
   one of those things we're not supposed to worry our pretty little
   heads about anymore?

Despite that final whine, it mostly looks pretty good.  It's only the
resume issue that's a total show-stopper for now.  Thanks, as always,
for all the great work.

jon