nautilus and hidden files in F21

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 9 11:21:15 UTC 2014

On 10/09/2014 12:59 PM, bitlord wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 11:04 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> On 10/08/2014 07:49 PM, bitlord wrote:
>>> This is how it looks like. [1] It is part of gnome/gnome-shell.
>>
>> Hi bitlord,
>>
>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! I get the applications menu only by installing the
>> correspondent gnomeshell extension (usage of gnome-tweak-tool). And
>> after the installation of this extension, there is *no Files or similar
>> submenu*.
>>
>> So I guess that what you mean can't be a standard part of gnome3!
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Joachim Backes
>>

>>> [1] - https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/ApplicationMenu
>>>

> No, application menu is standard gnome feature as it says 3.3 (devel) or
> 3.4 (final), from 3.4+ it is part of gnome-shell, it is used mostly for
> native gnome applications (nautilus is part of gnome) to access some
> settings ... (other applications which don't support it, have only
> "Quit" in the menu)
> See the wiki page how it looks like, and when you are in nautilus (aka
> "Files") and you have focus on the window (it is active), you have
> "Files _drop_down_menu_" next to the "Activities" button, and in that
> application menu (for nautlius ("files")) you can find
> "Preferences" ...

Hi Bitlord,

now I understand what you mean: Obvioulsly you mean the File menu
belonging to nautilus appearing at the top of the screen if some
nautilus window is opened. By using the preferences submenu it's
indedeed possible to switch permanently to "don't show hidden files".

Solves my problem! Thank you.

Joachim Backes

--

Fedora release 21 (Twenty One)