Grub and something called ZISD

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Oct 23 23:36:20 UTC 2014

On Oct 23, 2014 4:50 PM, "Ankur Sinha" <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-10-24 at 06:18 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Google ZISD.  Look at screen.   See "GRUB and ZISD - Cool Solutions |
> > Novell" as second entry.
> >
> > Click on link.
> >
> > https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/grub-and-zisd/
>
> I actually tried that - it didn't seem to work. Instead of one sector
> with ZISD, now I have 2.
>
> The post is from 2008 and is probably referring to legacy GRUB.
>
> From the error I had posted earlier, I think GRUB2 leaves the sector
> occupied by ZISD be.
> --
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Ankur (FranciscoD)

The post is telling you how to move the bits manually.  It's mostly
relevant to admins migrating from the pre-2008 version of the software
doing the writing, to the version that knows better.  Since you said that
GRUB is trashed after every Windows boot, I think it is safe to assume that
any changes you make to these sectors will not persist.  It doesn't matter
if you're writing GRUB or zeroes or what. It probably happens on 'refresh'
- ie on boot, on every network transition, and every hour or two in
between.  You probably have a little bluish circle in the Windows system
tray; right click, hit "show properties" and dig around to verify.

Unless you can convince the uni IT  to upgrade their [very outdated and
anecdotally terrible] system management infrastructure, or block that
functionality on your machine, I think you will have to put GRUB somewhere
else.

Nice seeing you in a sane time zone for a change, Ankur :)

--Pete