why does perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker depend on systemtap-sdt-devel?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 18:24:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 12:32 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   possibly admitting my ignorance, but why does installing
> perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker drag in systemtap-sdt-devel? i see no logical
> connection, and i don't even have any systemtap packages installed.
>
>   i ask since i'm working with a software package that fails to
> configure properly if the header file "sys/sdt.h" is installed on the
> development system, but it needs the MakeMaker package, so i'm in a
> bit of a dilemma.

When in doubt:

$ echo n | sudo yum install --releasever=21 --installroot=/tmp/empty foo

And then examine the output.  In this case, perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker →
perl-ExtUtils-Install → perl-devel → systemtap-sdt-devel.  Which appears
to have been so since December 2010:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/661553

- ajax