Did I miss an announcement?

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:18:33 UTC 2014

On 09/17/2014 03:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have I missed some sort of announcement concerning the distribution packaging changes starting with Fedora 21?
>>
>> Where is the equivalent of this http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/20/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-20-x86_64-DVD.iso
>> for Fedora 21.  All of the current isos under TCx and RC1 are for live, workstation, server, and "spins".
> I think there is going to be a Workstation DVD spin to create actual DVD media for give aways. I don't know how obvious the DVD image will be as a download option, but it's not something QA is testing as far as I know.
>
> Server has netinst and DVD.
> Workstation has netinst and Live.
>

>> Is the new direction forcing the use of netinstall for a general input when you do a kickstart?
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with this approach it is just that was not aware it was being done.
>>
>> I believe I may rethink my approch to installation and move away from depending on kickstart.
> It's a valid question to ask on the desktop@ list which is where the decision was made to drop DVD. I think the expectation for many kickstart installs is with netinst with a local repository rather than limiting you to what's on the DVD, where you'd end up pulling stuff off a server somewhere anyway whenever it's not on the DVD ISO. Plus, even after a few weeks of release, the amount of updates is quite large so there's not much point installing the old packages on DVD anyway in my view. I'm kinda surprised Server went with DVD.

In a past life I had the need to install onto laptops which were not
connected to anything let alone the Internet.  However, I would agree
that would be for a very small number of individuals.  Your can always
1) setup you own local repsoitory or )2) you could use mock/pungi to
build a DVD with everything you want on it.

In any case, I am leaning toward switching to use live images.  The only
"problem" is that I would like the ability to configure storage based on
some input file rather than having to manually configure it.  The reason
I use kickstart is for the sotorage configuration and to specify all the
packages I want installed.  I wonder if there would be any interest in a
liveinst enhancement for storage configuration.

Gene