can someone suggest why firefox is so &$*&^%*#^&%* slow?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 24 14:44:40 UTC 2014

  i am at my wit's end with firefox on my fedora rawhide system -- to
say it's nad-grindingly slow would be charitable. just now, i tried
clicking on another tab ... some 30 seconds later, i am still waiting
for the tab to change, oh, wait, there it is.

  watching any sort of youtube video is excruciating ... while audio
is typically, i will frequently get *maybe* one frame change a second,
i kid you not. i frequently get javascripts that are not responding,
and i'm asked whether i want to wait for them.

  is there *something* i can do to debug this? what firefox
configuration settings should i be looking at? i'm willing to try
anything because, at this point, firefox is utterly unusable. even
something as simple as scrolling in a window is painfully slow.

  oh, and i'm on a quad core i7, so i'm pretty sure horsepower isn't
the problem.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca