Screen resolutions

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 14 02:13:20 UTC 2015

Adam Williamson composed on 2015-04-13 18:02 (UTC-0700):

> Bug reports, anyone. The reason I didn't just say 'doesn't exist' is
> because if your system is old enough you'll still have the file, with a

How old is "old"?...

> log from the last boot before GDM switched over to sending the
> messages to the journal. But that file is very unlikely to be of any
> interest to anyone.

What exactly does journalctl -b extract that is better than what an
Xorg.0.log contains? I see you've been tweeking
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems but I don't see an
explanation of non-interest in the traditional log.

> The thing that spawns the X server decides where it should send its
> logs; when you use GDM + GNOME, at least, the X log messages are

None of my Fedora installations include Gnome or GDM. (All have compositing
disabled regardless of GPU and CPU power.)

> directed to the journal. I think it's probably the case that this is
> tied to the login manager not the desktop, so when you use GDM,
> whatever desktop you log into, the messages go to the journal - but I
> wasn't 100% sure so I fudged it.

I get that the powers in control decided there shall be a massive paradigm
shift from X troubleshooting tradition dating back into a previous century
(the precise reasons for which as yet have escaped my discovery), converting
the wealth of help files Google will be offering up in the years to come into
obfuscation of appropriate assistance.

That change apparently has yet to fully manifest.

Some installations here have had KDM replaced by SDDM. On those with SDDM
I've been unable to get a configuration equivalent to KDM configuration, so I
use startx or xinit directly to start KDE on those. On those that still have
KDM, I'm more likely to be using startx than a login manager anyway. I cannot
recall having seen an Xorg.0.log not created freshly on X exit on any of them
in recent weeks, if ever.

IOW, I have many Xorg.0.log files created in recent weeks, days and hours by
Fedora. Surely others do too.

What I'd really like to see is what makes the rigamarole of using journalctl
to extract X diagnostic info from a binary blob produce better
troubleshooting and diagnostic info better than the tradition of automatic
creation in human readable format copyable using simple and memorable
instructions from anything that can access the filesystem containing it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/