There is a problem, but…

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Aug 1 18:42:02 UTC 2015

Fedora Rawhide generally works very well for me, as does Debian Sid.
For Java though I do not use the OS packages but install Oracle JDK8
(currently u51). Having said this I try to use the JDK9 as much as
possible, but as far as I am aware none of the JetBrains IDEs run on
JDK9 – certainly SBT and Gradle tend to fail rather than work which is
a problem as I try to use them for all my projects that I use the
JetBrains IDEs for – except the Python projects with PyCharm, of
course, oh and the C++ project with CLion, but definitely the IntelliJ
IDEA projects.

I have set environment variables to make sure the JetBrains IDEs all
start using the Oracle JDK8 on both Fedora Rawhide and Debian Sid.

On Debian Sid I am having no problems.

On Fedora Rawhide, starting a JetBrains IDE tends to cause Gnome Shell
to crash, and usually restart, but not always. I haven't got a pattern
to exactly when this happens, but it generally does. All in all it is
very irritating. Nothing other than the JetBrains IDEs (AndroidStudio,
CLion, PyCharm, and IntelliJ IDEA) seem to cause the problem but all
the JetBrains IDEs do.

I have no idea how to "debug" this, nor how to make a proper bug report
in the absence of a solid set of data about reproducibility. I felt
though I had to at least flag that there was an issue.

I am happy to undertake experiments and to provide data privately as
needed.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk