Alpha Criterion Discussion: Desktop Backgrounds

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 12:30:44 UTC 2015

As promised at yesterday's Go/No-Go meeting, I'm starting a discussion
on the Alpha criterion that states: "The default desktop background
must be different from that of the two previous stable releases."

As I understand it, the intent is essentially that no one booting a
Fedora pre-release should infer that it is a stable release and that
this should be obvious from the desktop background.

I suppose this makes some sense for Live media (particularly when
burned to a USB stick that may not have a label). That being said, I do
not agree that this should be a *blocking* issue for release.

It's very likely to get into "last blocker" discussions (as it did
yesterday). (By "last blocker" I mean those cases where the Go/No-Go
would tend to waive it as a blocker if it was the only one holding up a
release). To me, that means it's not really a blocker (and shouldn't be
classified as one).

I'd like to propose that we remove this as a strict blocking criterion
and instead introduce a new category of criteria for automatic freeze
-exceptions of which this could be a part. Essentially, up to the
moment that an RC is declared gold, any changes made to support an
automatic freeze-exception must be pulled in.

The idea would be that these auto-FEs should still be part of the
validation runs, but not blocking for the release. Does this seem like
a reasonable middle-ground?