Alpha Criterion Discussion: Desktop Backgrounds

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 08:42:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-08-10 at 14:43 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>
>> Also for KDE theming, final wallpapers packages has to
>> exist
>> before (it's not that important these days, as we do not change
>> design too much
>> and it's more like sed-version of Fn package but still causes
>> delays).
>
> It seems rather bizarre that KDE needs a new source package for its
> theme for every distro release. Is there any reason why this is
> actually *necessary*?

In reality, it's even more complicated :). But it should be possible
to alter fxx-backgrounds
to install everything in place, create symlink that could be used by
other themes to pick
up current default wallpaper. And there would be only one master
theme, so it would no
require even any changes in kde-settings (to make it all default).
This all comes from times,
when I was young and I had a lot of time to really play with theming.
Aka times of Solar wp
where KSplash theme had small micro-comets, UI was inspired by wp etc.
So let's take a
look how to change it - as currently creating new theme is more
sed-like task instead of
anything else.

Jaroslav