no /dev/root when doing remote install using the netinstall iso...

dwoody5654 dwoody5654 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:34:47 UTC 2015

I downloaded the netinstall 23-Alpha from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/test/23_Alpha/Server/i386/iso/.

The grub menu I created is:
menuentry 'Remote Install' {
set root='hd0,msdos1'
echo    'Loading Linux'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-remote
repo=hd:sda2:/Fedora-Server-netinst-i386-23_Alpha.iso selinux=0
ks.device=enp0s30 ks=hd:sda2:/ks.cfg --noip6 inst.sshd ramdisk_size=8192
panic=30
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd  /boot/initrd-remote.img
}

Both vmlinuz and initrd were copied from the iso.

Booting the menu entry 'Remote Install', It gets to the 'Reached Basic
system' and after a few minutes drops to dracut with the /dev/root does
not exist error message.

I added the LABEL to the linux line in grub.cfg that I got from the iso
file isolinux.cfg. This did not help.
Searches found comments that the LABEL should be set to LIVE. That did
not work either.

I then burned the iso and booted with it. I got the the screen where you
make selections from language etc. I then stopped as I would like to
accomplish the install remotely.

I have been using the above entry for grub.cfg since f16(with some
modifications as Fedora requirements changed) with no problems.

Anyone else seeing this?
What am I over looking?

David