Convert nonproduct to productX

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Feb 18 01:34:54 UTC 2015

On Feb 17, 2015 1:57 PM, "Chris Murphy" <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Currently installed F22 lxde spin, which contains:
> fedora-release-nonproduct-22-0.12.noarch
> fedora-release-22-0.10.noarch
>
> But how to convert it to server product? It seems like this should
> work but it fails:
> # dnf group install "Fedora Server"
> Using metadata from Mon Feb 16 21:33:49 2015
> Error: package firewalld-config-standard-0.3.13-2.fc22.noarch
> conflicts with system-release-server provided by
> fedora-release-server-22-0.12.noarch
>
> The only suggestion I'm finding so far is using fedup --product=server
> but that seems meant for doing a product convert in the course of an n
> > n+1 upgrade. The group install seems like it ought to work. Same
> error happens using yum.
>
> Funny enough, if I 'dnf remove firewalld-config-standard' the
> resolution ends up being a (partial?) conversion to fedora-server by
> removing firewalld-config-standard and fedora-release-nonproduct, and
> then installing a pile of server things including cockpit and
> fedora-release-server.
>
> So the question really is, is conversion supposed to be possible, and
> if so should it be possible with group install, and where are the bugs
> to be filed, if any?
>
> --
> Chris Murphy
> --

In my personal, arguably pedantic opinion, this isn't something that should
be encouraged.  There are a handful of methods you could use for
conversion; yum shell, yum swap, adding and removing packages,
adopt-your-cattle scripts, more; further permutations between start/end
products and methods.

It is a whole lot of complexity to test and support, for use cases like:
"I installed the XFCE spin but I really wanted Fedora Server" or
"I installed Fedora Server, but I want an LXDE desktop and don't care about
cockpit or rolekit"
or "I installed Fedora Workstation but I don't like GNOME and am not a
developer, I just want MATE and LibreOffice".

Conversion between products is a sign that 1) the user is not familiar with
the concept of Fedora products and spins, maybe because the former is new,
or 2) the project is inadequately communicating the nature of deliverables.

--Pete