update some test cases

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 14 18:48:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 03:01 -0500, Lili Nie wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
>     I'm intending to modify some test cases in the Fedora test wiki
> pages,as shown in the following:
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Partitioning_No_Swap
>     How to test
>     Boot the installer using any available means (netinst/boot.iso,
> PXE, or DVD)
>     on INSTALLATION SUMMARY screen, click into Installation
> Destination
>     select I will configure partitioning on the Installation
> Destination page,and proceed with installation
>     On the Manual Partitioning screen, ensure no swap partition is
> created
>     Complete the installation
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_anaconda_ext3_rootfs_on_disk_partition
>
>     How to test
>     Boot the installer using any available means (netinst/boot.iso,
> PXE, or DVD)
>     on INSTALLATION SUMMARY screen, click into Installation
> Destination
>     select I will configure partitioning on the Installation
> Destination page,and proceed with installation
>     On the Manual Partitioning screen, place the root filesystem(/)
> on an ext3 formatted partition
>     Complete the installation
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_anaconda_xfs_rootfs_on_disk_partition
>
>     How to test
>     Boot the installer using any available means (netinst/boot.iso,
> PXE, or DVD)
>     on INSTALLATION SUMMARY screen, click into Installation
> Destination
>     select I will configure partitioning on the Installation
> Destination page,and proceed with installation
>     On the Manual Partitioning screen, place the root filesystem(/)
> on an xfs formatted partition
>     Complete the installation
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_anaconda_btrfs_rootfs_on_disk_partition
>
>     How to test
>     Boot the installer using any available means (netinst/boot.iso,
> PXE, or DVD)
>     On INSTALLATION SUMMARY screen, click into Installation
> Destination
>     select I will configure partitioning on the Installation
> Destination page,and proceed with installation
>     On the Manual Partitioning screen, place the root filesystem(/)
> on a btrfs formatted partition
>     Complete the installation

Hi Lili!

My suggestion is to use mediawiki's template system to avoid
duplicating the same steps in multiple test cases. I actually already
did this for some of the partitioning test cases, but not all. You can
look at the test cases in the "Guided storage configuration" section
for ideas.

There are already four templates you can use:

{{Template:Partitioning_single_setup}} (for the "setup" section)
{{Template:Partitioning_actions}} (for the first few "actions" steps)
{{Template:Partitioning_actions_post}} (for after all test-case
specific steps, it just says 'complete the install making sensible
choices for everything else')
{{Template:Partitioning_results}} (for the results - it's a generic
text which should apply to all/most partitioning test cases)

It would make sense to add a new template, something like
Template:Partitioning_custom_single_blank , which would have the steps:

# Ensure only the single target device you prepared is selected as the
installation target disk.
# Ensure the option to configure partitioning yourself is selected,
and complete this screen.
# On the ''MANUAL PARTITIONING'' screen, delete all existing
partitions (if any).

Then each test case could add the steps unique to itself, e.g.:

|setup=
{{Template:Partitioning_single_setup}}
|actions=
{{Template:Partitioning_actions}}
{{Template:Partitioning_custom_single_blank}}
# Pick 'btrfs' from the ''New mount points will use the following
partitioning scheme:'' drop-down
# Click the ''Click here to create them automatically'' link
# Click ''Done''
# {{Template:Partitioning_actions_post}}
|results=
{{Template:Partitioning_results}}

for the btrfs test case, and:

|setup=
{{Template:Partitioning_single_setup}}
|actions=
{{Template:Partitioning_actions}}
{{Template:Partitioning_custom_single_blank}}
# Pick 'Standard partition' from the ''New mount points will use the
following partitioning scheme:'' drop-down
# Click the ''Click here to create them automatically'' link
# Change the '''File System''' drop-down to ''xfs'', and click
''Update settings''
# Click ''Done''
# {{Template:Partitioning_actions_post}}
|results=
{{Template:Partitioning_results}}

for the XFS test case.

>    Also, I think maybe we should change
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop
>
>    into someone like https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_workstation
>
>    and add one for server:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_server
>
>    Any comments on these will be very welcomed, and as soon as we
> have a decision
>    on the changes, I will update the wiki page.

Yep, I agree with this. It would be best to make some little changes
to the test case text as well to make it match the F21+ changes a bit
more (that is, refer specifically to 'Fedora Workstation' instead of
'the default package set, or using the default live image').