OS X dual boot criterion problems

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 20 22:56:22 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2014-12-28 at 18:39 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM, Adam Williamson <
> adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Hi, folks. Talking to cmurf, our resident OS X dual boot expert,
> > on #fedora-qa, it's become clear that when we adopted the OS X
> > dual boot criterion a few weeks back, we didn't have a good
> > understanding of the current state of that code and particularly
> > upstream grub's support for booting OS X via UEFI. Basically it
> > seems that booting OS X from grub didn't work then and doesn't
> > work now and we can't realistically fix it, so we shouldn't have
> > put that criterion in place because it's not something we can
> > actually viably achieve.
> >
> > cmurf, roshi, kparal and I voted +1 to removing the criterion on
> > that basis. I'm hoping cmurf will be kind enough to look at the
> > issue again for the F22 cycle, in consultation with pjones if
> > necessary, so we can put a realistic requirement in place before
> > we get into F22 Alphas.
> >
> > If no-one has any objections, we'll make the removal formal ahead
> > of tomorrow's Go/No-Go meeting for 21. Thanks folks!
>
> Gist: EFI GRUB still gets these legacy OS X boot options that were
> designed to permit CSM-BIOS GRUB to EFI boot OS X. They don't work
> from EFI GRUB though.
>
> As far as I can tell there's no upstream bandwidth/interest in
> fixing this; even if it means just suppressing the creation of the
> entries, rather than chainloading the Apple bootloader. So I think
> the issue is not a QA issue right now, but needs to be bounced back
> to desktop@ for the Workstation WG to maybe use some recruitment
> influence if they want to see this fixed.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2014-10/msg00044.html
>
> A challenge with grub2-mkconfig creating an entry to chainload
> Apple's boot.efi, is with recent on-disk format changes in OS X
> 10.10 since this last October. It means os-prober will need to
> become aware that the boot.efi it's looking for is now on an Apple
> Boot [1] partition. I'm not sure what's involved in doing that work
> compared to just suppressing the creation of entries that don't work
> anyway.

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the belated reply.

So, where would you say we are WRT the criteria for F22 right now?
What would be a reasonable expectation?

As of right now, we have these in the F22 Final criteria:

Windows dual boot

The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
existing clean Windows installation and install a bootloader which can
boot into both Windows and Fedora.

OS X dual boot

The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
existing OS X installation, install and configure a bootloader that
will boot Fedora; if the boot menu presents OS X entries, they must
boot OS X. Installing Fedora must not inhibit the system's ability to
boot OS X from the UEFI boot manager.

We do not have any Linux dual boot criterion.

Do we need to amend the OS X or Windows criteria to reflect technical
reality in any way? Do we want to take another shot at adding a
limited Linux dual/multi-boot criterion before we hit Alpha? If so we
should revisit the F21-era proposals, agree on a wording, and run it
by anaconda-devel-list ASAP.

Thanks!