Release criterion proposal: "Package sets" (Alpha and Beta)

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 27 21:52:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 09:25 -0700, Mike Ruckman wrote:

> Just to sum it up for people, the proposal overall is:
>
>  - Reword the alpha criterion [0]
>  - add a Beta criterion (with the latest extension) [1]
>  - add a net-install Final criterion [2]
>
> I don't see anything worrisome about any of these changes. Gives us
> good, well defined areas we know we want covered.

So, sigh, we're apparently getting flavor network install images again
for F22, along with a generic network install image. So let me refine
this *again*:

Alpha: "When installing with a release-blocking dedicated installer
image, the installer must be able to install the default package set."
(no change)

Beta 1: "When installing with a dedicated installer image for a
specific Fedora flavor, the default package set must be the correct
set for that flavor."

Beta 2: "When installing with the generic network install image,
selecting a package set other than the default must work."

Final: "When installing with the generic network install image with no
update repositories enabled, the installer must be able to install
each of the release-blocking desktops, as well as the minimal package
set."

that commits us to a moderate amount of testing, and if we're worried
about that we could for e.g. consider limiting the 'guarantee' for the
generic netinst image to just minimal.

Thoughts? Hope I don't have to revise this any further :)

(note: the flavor netinsts may offer package set selection and be able
to install other package sets - in fact, they probably will - but the
idea is we only "support" them for installing their 'own' package sets.)