Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 28 22:20:54 UTC 2015

drago01 <drago01 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Brian C. Lane <bcl <at> redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I *know* this is going to be a bit of a pain to get used to. But the
> > increased security is worth it.
>
> Depends ... if you force user to choose a password that they can't
> possibly remember you increase the likelihood of them just writing it
> on a piece of paper (and in the worst case have it near the computer).

One could use the passwd command to change the password after the install
(assuming the passwd command won't require strong passwords as well). There
is the danger that since the definition of "weak" will change, one might be
doing an install and suddenly find that one's password is now considered
weak, and have to make up a new one on the spot. If they don't write it
down, they could forget it after the install, and be locked out. I was also
wondering about ways to get around the password - for example if the disk
isn't encrypted, or there's no bootloader password. Wouldn't anaconda need
to enforce some of that as well, to be consistent?