Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jan 29 01:23:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-28 at 19:33 -0500, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > It was done as a follow-up / alternative to this Change proposal:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SSHD_PermitRootLogin_no
> >
> > a lot of the reaction to that was along the lines of 'well, why not
> > just make sure the root password is secure', and that got picked up by
> > anaconda folks. You can follow the discussion in the devel@ and
> > anaconda-devel-list archives.
> >
> I just don't understand the reasoning here.

Your understanding is no longer required.  It is the new alien thinking
that goes with the alien tech.  Developers make the rules, users use the
system as it is given unto them and are happy; because developers know
things and stuff and users are idiots who must be protected from their
idiocy.  In times past a Linux installer was written with the notion
that the person on the other end was another knowledgeable person, a
peer, thus they were assumed to know what they were doing.  A scratch
install doesn't really need a strong password or whatever.  Warn about
unwise actions if developer time permits, otherwise let em get on with
it.

The same mindset was on exhibit last week with the discussion of forced
formatting of partitions.  The whole notion of any action not explicitly
planned for and whitelisted is forbidden.  Who cares if an admin has a
good (if unusual) reason for wanting to do something, admins are
obsolete now; now there are developers and users and Linux must shed the
UNIX legacy that holds it back and become Chrome or Android.... or maybe
it is OS X this week, who cares anymore.  The pain threshold for
reinstall isn't there yet I have probably made my last fresh Fedora
install.