Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jan 29 22:09:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Seriously. Stop this. I have already asked people to stop assigning
> negative motivations to others without due cause. This is not being
> excellent to each other.

"Your user password for your computer is arbitrarily unacceptable to
the Fedora Project" is not being excellent either.

> The anaconda-devel-list discussion couldn't really be clearer about
> the relationship to the Change proposal - the whole thread was kicked
> off by the Change owner:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2015-January/msg00026.html

That change proposal was rejected, so how is it that one of its
proposed changes has managed to make it through to the installer
barely two weeks later?

The substantive discussion on devel@ was centered on the sshd portion,
not changes to the installer enabling password quality enforcement.
That happened on anaconda-devel@ which most Fedora users don't even
monitor let alone participate. The main notice of this change actually
occurring happened for the first time in test@ which arguably most
users also don't monitor.

> It is simply and clearly _false_ to claim that "the Anaconda
> team...tried to enforce a password policy change without consulting
> anyone else about it?", when the change was in fact discussed on two
> high-profile public project mailing lists, both threads which you
> *posted in yourself*.

I was mostly referring to the last time a password change materialized
without conversation, but I accept being 50% inaccurate on this.

--
Chris Murphy