Release criterion proposal: "Package sets" (Alpha and Beta)

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 29 23:52:52 UTC 2015

> On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 09:25 -0700, Mike Ruckman wrote:
>
> > Just to sum it up for people, the proposal overall is:
> >
> >  - Reword the alpha criterion [0]
> >  - add a Beta criterion (with the latest extension) [1]
> >  - add a net-install Final criterion [2]
> >
> > I don't see anything worrisome about any of these changes. Gives
> > us good, well defined areas we know we want covered.
>
> So, sigh, we're apparently getting flavor network install images
> again for F22, along with a generic network install image. So let me
> refine this *again*:
>
> Alpha: "When installing with a release-blocking dedicated installer
> image, the installer must be able to install the default package
> set." (no change)
>
> Beta 1: "When installing with a dedicated installer image for a
> specific Fedora flavor, the default package set must be the correct
> set for that flavor."
>
> Beta 2: "When installing with the generic network install image,
> selecting a package set other than the default must work."
>
> Final: "When installing with the generic network install image with
> no update repositories enabled, the installer must be able to
> install each of the release-blocking desktops, as well as the
> minimal package set."
>
> that commits us to a moderate amount of testing, and if we're
> worried about that we could for e.g. consider limiting the
> 'guarantee' for the generic netinst image to just minimal.
>
> Thoughts? Hope I don't have to revise this any further :)

Hum, let me try one more change: if we have official Flavor netinsts,
we don't really need to *require* the generic one to work for the
flavors. KDE is kind of a question, but I think to try and reduce the
workload maybe we should just require the generic netinst to work for
minimal. So replace the Final proposal above with:

Final: "When installing with the generic network install image with no
update repositories enabled, the installer must be able to install the
minimal package set."