Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Jan 30 20:54:22 UTC 2015

On 01/30/2015 12:21 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 12:59 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> What's the actual, real world,
>> non-imaginary impetus behind the change?
>
> It's exactly what all the list posts I pointed you to say it is. I
> don't know how to stop the conspiracy virus which causes people to
> leap to the conclusion that there's some shadowy secret motive behind
> every change they don't like, but there *isn't*. PJP posted about his
> change proposal to anaconda-devel . bcl said 'that doesn't sound like a
> good idea, but we take your point about possible brute force attacks
> against services enabled ootb, and an easy way to mitigate that is to
> require strong passwords'. anaconda already *has* a password strength
> checker, so it probably took him all of five minutes to make it
> mandatory instead of optional. Then he dropped a mail here as a
   ^^^^^^^^^
> courtesy heads-up. that's the entirety of what happened.

That's what's setting people off--making it mandatory unilaterally.

I have no issue with the system nattering at me that the password is
(in the installer's opinion) inadequate, but do NOT stop me from using
it. I probably have a damned good reason to use it. After all, I put in
my "weak" password twice (and note the second time was AFTER the system
bitched about its perceived weakness). I obviously want it set to what
I entered.

If I wanted to be led by the nose, restricted in what I can do and
nannied constantly, I'd use Windows or a freaking Mac. Sheesh!