Linux dual boot criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jul 3 17:11:16 UTC 2015

The Fedora 23 final release criteria includes criteria for Windows and
OS X but not Linux. The last time this was brought up was Fedora 21.

Exiting *dual boot* (not multiboot) language:

Windows dual boot
The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
existing clean Windows installation and install a bootloader which can
boot into both Windows and Fedora.

OS X dual boot
The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
existing OS X installation, install and configure a bootloader that
will boot Fedora.

Suggested Linux dual boot language
The installer must be able to install into free space, including free
space created by an installer supported shrink operation, alongside an
existing Linux installation and configure a bootloader that will boot
both Linux OS's.

So that suggests if the installer supports shrink of ext3/4 (which it
does) this should work; if it's free space (no shrink) it should work,
it doesn't obligate the installer to support Btrfs shrink even though
btrfs shrink is stable, but it does obligate the installer to make
LV's active so that os-prober can locate any possible Linux
installations. And it only holds the installer and by extention
os-prober and grub2-mkconfig to creating boot entries for two Linux
OS's. If it finds 25+ OS installations and pukes, that's not covered
by this.

So I don't know what all edge cases could exist and if there needs to
be a fail safe? i.e. if there are more than x number inactive LVs (not
created by this installation session) that would need to be made
active so that os-prober can search for other OS's, then just fail?
I'm not suggesting the critieria should obligate the installer team to
create a fail safe, but rather to suggest somehow that if there's some
weird edge case with piles of LVs that need to be activated and
searched (possibly none of which even have a Linux OS on them), that
this criterion doesn't apply at al.

I've thrown out 25, but there's no empirical method involved in picking that.

And yes this ultimately needs to go on anaconda@ and maybe desktop@
but I wanted to vet this with testers first and get the language more
sane and concise.

Thanks,

--
Chris Murphy