Again? The password

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jul 29 21:03:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 02:49:09PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Well, sure, thats the case in any open source project.
> You as a user of that project are welcome to try and convince the
> people doing work to change things to what you desire. If you fail to
> do this, then it will not get done. After a decision has been made to
> you suppose more and more queries to change the decision will go well?

Well, though I feel like a troll for being the one to raise this--and it's
also causing heated discussion on the CentOS list, that's the point.
Maybe, if they realize how many people it annoys, they'll drop it.

Anyway, while an 8 character lowercase letter number combo was considered
too weak, sizematters was considered sufficient.

I think, that like many other decisions disliked by the more experienced,
they're going to wind up doing it, and once again, a few people will, when
it goes into RHEL, be annoyed enough to leave, but not enough to really
affect their business--who wants to change the O/S on 100, or even 5,
servers?

I think that closing the two bug reports immediately was somewhat
premature.

> > Again, the issue was never "how fast are we getting a policy?".
> > The issue was always "what policy are we getting?".

Or perhaps, why are we suddenly instituting this policy?

I believe that I used the analogy last time they tried, of the TSA.
It gives some appearance of security, does almost no good, and serves to
annoy the vast majority.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6