Again? The password

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jul 30 21:23:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:51:29 -0700
Samuel Sieb <samuel at sieb.net> wrote:

> On 07/29/2015 02:10 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Well, if we are still talking about anaconda initial password
> > behavior, it only affects people installing from the gui, not
> > kickstart users. Also, there's a way to customize it (for both),
> > and also you can change it to whatever you like after you install.
> > I'm not sure this was "disliked by the more experienced".
>
> I would appreciate more info on these options.
>
> I currently use the kickstart option to set initial passwords, is
> there something else?

If you set the password in the kickstart, it doesn't do any quality
checks at all. You could set it to "a" if you liked.

> How could I customize the password settings for installing from the
> gui?

You would need to add a /etc/security/pwquality.conf.d/yourname.conf
with the settings you desired. For a boot image like a netinstall or
dvd you would need to have that in the package set when you make the
image. For a live I think you could just add it after you booted if you
like (or add it in the kickstart to be made).

> I also couldn't find any way to do it after installation.
> system-config-authentication didn't seem to be able to disable the
> password quality checks.  I have to directly modify the pam.d files
> to remove pwquality, which is a rather unfortunate drastic measure.

Modify /etc/security/pwquality.conf.d/whatever.conf

(at least with f23/rawhide). I doubt thats been pushed to older stable
releases.

kevin