sizeof - w/ rpmbuild

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 04:10:03 UTC 2015

On 20.06.2015 13:10, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-06-20 at 12:17 +0200, poma wrote:
>> An exemplary example:
>>
>> $ du -h xfce4-mixer*
>> 104K	xfce4-mixer-debug-before
>> 432K	xfce4-mixer-debug-recent
>> 84K	xfce4-mixer-strip-recent
>
> Clearly the second version has .debug sections in the binaries, and the
> others don't. Also the first seems to have a full .symtab section, but
> does not contain any reference to the .debug file (it doesn't have
> a .gnu_debuglink section) and it doesn't contain a .gnu_debugdata
> (mini-symtab) section, while the last one doesn't have a full .symtab
> section, but does have both a reference to the actual debug file
> (.gnu_debuglink section) and a mini-symtab (.gnu_debugdata section).
>
> But what exactly are you comparing? How do you build these packages
> precisely? It might help if you posted the build.logs somewhere for
> comparison.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Actually it was my fault lacking a better insight on this matter.
In the meantime I purge, rebuild - now without %debug_package %{nil} - and reinstall everywhere.
We do not have anything to compare, not any more, sorry.
If rpm in standard way cannot strip without passing content to debuginfo, so let it be.

I thank those who responded.