ivtv - firmware - v4l-cx2341x*.fw - Upstream & Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 23 20:35:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:56:30 +0200
poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23.06.2015 00:51, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > The question of what firmwares to include in the Fedora packages is
> > on -topic for maybe the devel@ list or the kernel list, but unless
> > it's
>
> Wait a minute, Williamson, did you mention @kernel and @devel, where
> the malicious hordes tried to promote usage of proprietary nvidia
> crap within the beautiful things called FOSS, such as Fedora is.
> Because I stood up against such attempts, I was banned from these
> lists.
>
> Shame on them.

So, this will likely be my only post in this thread.

I cannot speak to the kernel list, but I am (one of) the moderators for
the devel list. You are not "banned" there, you are simply moderated
and most/all of your posts are not sent on to the list. This has
nothing to do with nvidia drivers or the like, but instead is due to
the following:

* You constantly cross post to large numbers of lists, resulting in
  anyone replying to you needing to go subscribe to all those lists or
  try and follow discussion in many places via archives.

* Additionally, You constantly post directly to people about things that
  are much better suited to bug reports and mailing lists. (In addition
  to large numbers of lists). This doesn't scale. Linus cannot reply to
  every direct email about the Linux kernel, etc.

* You often post long outputs of commands, but then don't say what the
  problem or issue is, you just hope someone will figure it out.

For example, this thread IMHO would have been fine for a
bugzilla.redhat.com bug report against linux-firmware or kernel with
something like:

"Hey, since ivtv package was retired I am unable to find 2 firmware
files I need for my device. Can you take a look and see what happened
to them? They are X and Y and here's my dmesg output"

kevin