High CPU on latest nightly

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:04:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > Alexander, try running the installation with this boot option:
>> >
>> > inst.updates=https://kparal.fedorapeople.org/tmp/no-spinner.img
>> >
>> > It should disable spinner animation. Then compare the CPU usage. I
>> > still haven't gotten to reporting it as a bug, but it's true that
>> > the spinner seems to be a *gigantic* performance hog, making all
>> > our installations take much longer, especially in VMs.
>>
>> Now I come to notice it, GTKSpinners don't seem to spin at all in
>> TC7 and TC8. They do spin on my desktop. Not sure if there's a
>> package difference or it's a KVM vs. real hardware thing, but
>> they're broken with at least both 'vga' and 'qxl' in a KVM. Just
>> burning a USB stick to see if it's the same on bare metal. Probably
>> GTK+ 3.15.9 is involved.
>
> Huh, it's odder than that - GtkSpinners apparently don't spin in GNOME
> on a KVM, but they *do* spin in the installer environment.

That's not really a bug. There is a xsettings key
"Gtk/EnableAnimations" that gets disabled if the system is using
software rendering (or if it is a remote system) to improve
performance.
There is no "full gnome" in the installer environment so nothing
disables the key but in the user session ...