High CPU on latest nightly

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:22:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 08:04 +0100, drago01 wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Adam Williamson <
>> adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > Huh, it's odder than that - GtkSpinners apparently don't spin in
>> > GNOME on a KVM, but they *do* spin in the installer environment.
>>
>> That's not really a bug. There is a xsettings key
>> "Gtk/EnableAnimations" that gets disabled if the system is using
>> software rendering (or if it is a remote system) to improve
>> performance.
>> There is no "full gnome" in the installer environment so nothing
>> disables the key but in the user session ...
>
> yeah, mclasen said the same. still, it's a problem that spinners are
> so CPU heavy. it's maybe not noticeable in a typical install, but on
> an openQA setup we have 4-8 installs running simultaneously on a
> single host, and the combination causes major load.

Yeah I am just explaining why it is different between the "installer
environment" and GNOME.
I am not sure what runs in the installer environment but running
gnome-settings-daemon there would fix it ... the code that handles it
is here:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xsettings/gsd-remote-display-manager.c#n270
.... maybe ananconda can do something similar on its own.