High CPU on latest nightly

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 13:57:39 UTC 2015

I have tried to do a quick non-scientific measurement of the length of the installation (F22 Alpha TC8 Server DVD, all defaults). The times were measured from hitting the Begin Installation button to the Installation finished message (I configured the root password during the run). I made two runs for each case, and I worked during the installations in other applications (mostly web browser), so it might have skewed the results quite a bit. I can devote some time to do proper testing, if it would increase the chance to have this fixed soon(er) ;-)

> This is with spinner on, during installation phase:
> http://i.imgur.com/KaNDqZR.png
> and during post-install:
> http://i.imgur.com/Tf93BU1.png

With spinner on, it took me this long:
16m 57s
15m 6s

> This is with spinner off, during installation phase:
> http://i.imgur.com/4xbryF0.png
> and during post-install:
> http://i.imgur.com/pURu412.png

With spinner off, it took me this long:
4m 59s
5m 9s

The most time difference seems to be in the post-installation phase, where multithreaded jobs are run and the spinner consumes a lot of available processing power. The installation phase (rpm installations) seems to be similarly long for both cases, and most of the time difference is created in the post-installation phase.