[Test-Announce] Announcing the release of Fedora 22 Alpha!

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Mar 10 14:02:27 UTC 2015

Fedora 22 Alpha Release Announcement
====================================

The Fedora 22 Alpha release has arrived, with a preview of the latest
free and open source technology under development. Take a peek inside!

  • Get Fedora 22 Alpha Workstation
    https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/prerelease/

  • Get Fedora 22 Alpha Server
    https://getfedora.org/en/server/prerelease/

  • Get Fedora 22 Alpha Cloud
    https://getfedora.org/en/cloud/prerelease/

  • Get Fedora 22 Alpha Spins
    https://spins.fedoraproject.org/prerelease

What is the Alpha release?
==========================

The Alpha release contains all the exciting features of Fedora 22's
editions in a form that anyone can help test. This testing, guided by
the Fedora QA team, helps us target and identify bugs. When these bugs
are fixed, we make a Beta release available. A Beta release is
code-complete and bears a very strong resemblance to the third and
final release. The final release of Fedora 22 is expected in May.

We need your help to make Fedora 22 the best release yet, so please
take some time to download and try out the Alpha and make sure the
things that are important to you are working well. If you find a bug,
please report it – every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the
experience for millions of Fedora users worldwide.

Together, we can make Fedora 22 another rock-solid release. We have a
culture of coordinating new features and pushing fixes upstream as much
as feasible, and your feedback will help improve not only Fedora but
Linux and free software on the whole.

Fedora 22 Cloud
===============

The Fedora 22 Cloud Edition builds on the work completed during the
Fedora 21 cycle, and brings in a number of improvements that make
Fedora 22 a superb choice for running Linux in the cloud.

Ready for the Fedora 22 release, we have:

  • The latest versions of rpm-ostree and rpm-ostree-toolbox. You can
    even use rpm-ostree-toolbox to generate your own Atomic hosts from
    a custom set of packages.

  • A Vagrant image for Fedora 22 Atomic Host and Cloud Images. We're
    supplying Vagrant boxes that work with KVM or VirtualBox, so users
    on Fedora will be able to easily consume the Vagrant images with
    KVM, and users on Mac OS X or Windows can use the VirtualBox image.

  • Tunir: A new, lightweight Continuous Integration (CI) tool for
    rapid testing of cloud images. While being driven by the need for
    simple CI for the Cloud Working Group, it's generic enough to be
    used by anyone to configure and run jobs/tests on their local
    system.

Fedora 22 Server
================

The Fedora 22 Server Edition brings several changes that will improve
Fedora for use as a server in your environment.

  • Database Server Role: Fedora 21 introduced Rolekit, a daemon for
    Linux systems that provides a stable D-Bus interface to manage
    deployment of server roles. The Fedora 22 release adds onto that
    work with a database server role based on PostgreSQL.

  • Cockpit Updates: The Cockpit Web-based management application has
    been updated to the latest upstream release which adds many new
    features as well as a modular design for adding new functionality.

Fedora 22 Workstation
=====================

As always, Fedora carries a number of improvements to make life better
for its desktop users! Here's some of the goodness you'll get in Fedora
22 Workstation edition.

Enhancements:

  • The GNOME Shell notification system has been redesigned and
    subsumed into the calendar widget.
  • The Terminal now notifies you when a long running job completes.
  • The login screen now uses Wayland by default. This is a step
    towards replacing X with Wayland, and users should not actually
    notice the difference.
  • Installation of GStreamer codecs, fonts, and certain document types
    is now handled by Software, instead of gnome-packagekit.
  • The Automatic Bug Reporting Tool (ABRT) now features better
    notifications, and uses the privacy control panel in GNOME to
    control information sent.

Appearance:

  • The Nautilus file manager has been improved to use GActions, from
    the deprecated GtkAction APIs, for a better, more consistent
    experience.
  • The GNOME Shell has a refreshed theme for better usability.
  • The Qt/Adwaita theme is now code complete, and Qt notifications
    have been improved for smoother experience using Qt-based apps in
    Workstation.

Under the covers:

  • The libinput library is now used for both X11 and Wayland for
    consistent input device handling.

Spins

  • Plasma 5, the successor to KDE Plasma 4, is now the default
    workspace in the Fedora KDE spin.

  • The Xfce spin has been updated to Xfce 4.12 just in time for the
    Alpha release. This release has an enormous number of improvements,
    including HiDPI support, improvements to window tiling, support for
    Gtk3 plugins, and many improvements for multi-monitor support.

Issues and Details
on freenode.

As testing progresses, common issues are tracked on the Common F22 Bugs
page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F22_bugs

For tips on reporting a bug effectively, read "how to file a bug
report:" https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report

Release Schedule

The full release schedule is available on the Fedora wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/22/Schedule

The current schedule calls for a beta release in the middle of April,
and a final release in the second half of May.

These dates are subject to change, pending any major bugs or issues
found during the development process.