F21 -> F22: SELinux, NetworkManager and Xorg (unresponsive post distro-sync)

kashyapc at fedoraproject.org kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 14 22:04:44 UTC 2015

The below is after I updated from F21 to F22 on a Lenovo X220 baremetal.

No, first, I must mention: the machine was running Fedora 20, so I did a
`fedup --network 21 --product=workstation` followed by duplicate
cleanups, all of which went smoothly.

Then, I moved to F22. Events in order:

  (1) Upgrade:

        $ dnf --refresh --releasever=f21 distro-sync
        $ reboot

  (2) Boot fails, because it's stuck at:

        "Failed to load SELinux policy. Freezing".

      Reboot and go with 'enforcing=0' on Kernel command line, to get a
      successful boot. (SELinux policy version:
      selinux-policy-3.13.1-116.fc22.noarch)

  (3) Boot succeeds. However, I'm presented with login shell on tty1.
      No Xorg nor Wayland. Manually invoking `Xorg` results in a blank
      'dash' starting at me on an empty screen.

        Xorg.0.log:
        https://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/temp/var-log-Xorg.0.log.txt

        `journalctl -e _COMM=gdm-x-session` -- nothing from this too.

      [Both the above were captured after I got networking working at the
      end of (5), refer below.]

  (4) Reboot and login via tty1 and clean up package duplicates and
      rebuild RPM DB for good measure:

        $ package-cleanup --cleandupes
        $ rpm --rebuilddb

  (5) Networking:

       - NetworkManager package is gone (Ugh?! Okay, it's Alpha/Beta),
         consequently, getting networking to work is going to be a bit
         more manual process here after.

       - First, try for a little while to get wireless networking
         working from CLI:

            $ ip link set up wlp3s0

         The 'wlp3s0' interface is down, no matter how many times you
         invoke the above command:

            $ iw wlp3s0 link
            Not connected.

         I can find my SSID via a scan:

            $ iw wlp3s0 scan | grep $MY-SSID

         But, obviously, it's useless if the 'wlp3s0' interface is
         'DOWN':

            $  ip link show wlp3s0
            3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
            link/ether 08:11:96:99:fa:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

         (If the wlp3s0 interface was UP, I could have used
         `wpa_supplicant` to connect to the Wi-Fi.)

        (No useful messages in `journalctl`)

     - So, let's attach an ethernet cable, 'em1' interface shows up.

            ip link set up em1

       The interface is up.

       Now try a crude `dhclient em1`. Oops -- no 'dhcp-client' package.

       After carefully noticing the missing .so lib versions when trying
       to 'rpm -qi dhcp-client-4.3.2-2.fc22.x86_64.rpm' package, I
       realized I specifically needed 'bind99-libs' and 'bind99-license'
       packages. So, get them via Koji (from a different host) and copy
       into the broken F22 machine via USB.

       Installing the the below three packages manually, and invoking
       `dhclient em1` brings networking back.

          $ rpm -q dhcp-client bind99-libs bind99-license
          dhcp-client-4.3.2-2.fc22.x86_64
          bind99-libs-9.9.7-3.fc22.x86_64
          bind99-license-9.9.7-3.fc22.noarch

       Install NetworkManager, and reboot (don't forget 'enforcing=0'),
       NM `dhclient` is invoked properly by NetworkManager and
       networking works fine.

I've noticed a few others encounter some of these issues #fedora-qa,
Freenode. I haven't gotten around to filing bugs, thought I'd write here
first.

PS: On remote servers, I'm running several other test virtual machines
running minimal (@core via kickstart) F22/Rawhide just fine though.

--
/kashyap