Encrypted volume release criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 20 18:15:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Whatever state Manual Partitioning UI is in at the time I click
>> Done, so long as it accepts Done, it should be able to complete an
>> installation per that implicit visual contract for an installation.
>> It's not at all "gotta do everything" unless the UI claims it can do
>> everything, in which case then yes it'd have to actually be able to
>> do everything.
>>
>> This criterion is a UI delimiter, not a functionality mandate.
>
> It amounts to the same thing, because we can't practically just rip
> out all the functionality.

I wasn't recommending ripping out all functionality. I was only using
that as example that neither criterion versions would be violated in
such a case, therefore obviously the criterion aren't mandating any
specific functionality other than what the installer visually
promises.

This really should be uncontroversial. Plumber says he can install a
faucet into a granite counter top. Great! They should be able to do
exactly that, not f up the faucet or the granite counter top or cause
a flood, right? Pretty straightforward. If they can't do it, they
shouldn't claim they can.

> Fundamentally, we're painted into a corner
> where the installer has to contain more functionality than we can
> absolutely guarantee will work in all circumstances. Is that ideal?
> No. But we can't pretend it isn't true.

If there's no accountability for its own promises, then I'm not
imagining any available criterion.

> There are going to be cases where we get to go/no-go, find there's an
> obscure bug in custom part, and want to ship anyway. As long as that's
> the case, this criterion as written is just not the right thing and
> instead of assisting us in deciding if releases are done (the actual
> point of the criteria), it's getting in our way.

Right, fine, so just delete it. I have no alternative wordsmithing to
offer on this, because it's not about that. This isn't a creative
writing assignment.

--
Chris Murphy