oversized icons in nautilus

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun May 24 06:05:51 UTC 2015

On 05/24/2015 07:40 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 05/23/2015 07:31 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> On 05/23/2015 06:43 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in fc22, I am observing unreasonably oversized directory icons
>>> (256x256?) in nautilus, much bigger than file icons (64x64?).
>>>
>>> How to change this?
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> I asked this question already in the early f22 alpha times, but got only
>> the answer that later nautilus versions would solve this problem. But
>> nothing happened :-( Still huge desktop icons, whose size is not
>> reducable, despite they are of type SVG.
>
> Which DE are you using. I am observing this phenomenon when using
> nautilus w/ xfce, but not with Gnome Classic.

Replying to myself:

Seems to me as if this issue is related to the icon theme being used.
Apparently the "Fedora" and the "Mist" icon theme expose this issue,
while others (amongst them the "Gnome", "HighContrast") don't[1].

Somewhat special seems to be the oxygen icon. It seems to scale file and
dirs at the same size, but twice the size of "Gnome" ;)

So, my conclusion: The Fedora, Mist and Oxygen icon theme seem not to
harmonize well with nautilus and xfce (Read: These themes are broken).

Ralf

[1] In xfce, try Settings->Xfce Theme Manager->Icons