Rawhide, kernels and NVIDIA

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Nov 20 09:39:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 08:02 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Since kernel 4.1.0, I have not been able to get an NVIDIA
> > driver/support to compile and work on Rawhide. Either the download
> > would not compile at all, or now it compiles but fails to work
> > correctly. As far as I can tell (I may well be wrong) the beta
> > 358.09
> > is the only driver/support that compiles against kernels 4.2.0 and
> > later.
>

> I don't know how much this helps but I'm running 355.11 on Fedora 22
> with a
> 4.2.5 kernel without issue on m GTS450...

Prompted by your report of success, I did a more full test, forcing an
install of kernel 4.2.6-300 (albeit f23 not f24) obtained from Koji to
add to the 4.3 and 4.4 kernels I have:

	NVIDIA 355.11 will not compile for kernels 4.3+, fine on 4.2.6-
300.f23
	NVIDIA 358.09 compiles on all kernels.

In all cases, Xorg does not start properly and I end up with the
flashing text screen. This would seem to imply the problem is not
actually with the NVIDIA kernel per se, but is with either f24 versions
of GDM or Xorg.

Checking Xorg logs, it seems that Debian Xorg is 1.17 and Fedora Xorg
is 1.18. The Fedora error message says something about ABI 20.0. So
this is the crux of the problem I am seeing, Xorg, kernels and NVIDIA
driver are somehow mutually inconsistent currently in the Rawhide
repository. I guess this is somehow an NVIDIA issue?

I am not using the Fedora packaged NVIDIA driver so I have no idea if
that works. Nor am I using the Nouveau driver as it stops various
features of the GNOME UI that I rely on for sanity.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk