Rawhide, kernels and NVIDIA

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Nov 21 10:38:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 12:56 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> As a general rule of thumb anything proprietary binary only will be
> painful in rawhide. Anything can change through out the dev cycle and
> you have to wait for the vendor to catch up. Recently Xorg was bumped
> to the latest release requiring a rebuild for the new ABI. You can
> either use nouveau and have the latest and greatest or retrieve the
> last Xorg server build from koji that supported the ABI required by
> the proprietary driver and downgrade to that that exclude the
> affected
> packages from being upgraded.

Indeed, I expect nothing but pain with Rawhide :-)

As it happens, yesterday NVIDIA released 358.16 which explicitly fixes
the Xorg ABI 20 issue. Moreover, it compiles and appears to work fine
(*) on kernel 4.3. However on kernel 4.4-RC there appear to be
problems: I tend to find this has always been the case – no matter
using the special no debug kernels, only the formal release kernels
have ever really worked. So nothing new there.

(*) For some definition of the word fine. Sadly I am getting kernel
problems with the Fedora 4.3 kernel + 358.16 which are not happening
with the Debian 4.2 kernel with 358.16. I will assume NVIDIA haven't
quite got the Xorg ABI 20 stuff sorted properly as yet.

Sadly nouveau really doesn't do a good enough job for the GNOME Shell,
etc. behaviour that I want to work with. But that is my problem.

> > I am not using the Fedora packaged NVIDIA driver so I have no idea
> > if
> > that works. Nor am I using the Nouveau driver as it stops various
> > features of the GNOME UI that I rely on for sanity.
>
> Fedora doesn't package the NVIDIA driver, I presume you're referring
> to the rpmfusion.org one.

Yes indeed. And it isn't really up to scratch. And with the Debian
support for the NVIDIA driver being such an outright mess, downloading
the NVIDIA release is always the best strategy.

It is worth adding that Rawhide seems to work perfectly well (bar the
occasional glitch) on my Lenovo X series laptops, so I tend to run Sid
on the workstation and Rawhide on the laptops.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk